Dr. Michael J. Politis is the consulting Physician for Consumer Products International and the inventor of the Stretch-Away Night Brace for Plantar Fasciitis, also the Carpal Tunnel Micro-Soft Brace & the Carpal Tunnel Daytime Traction Wrist Brace.
Dr. Politis is not a shareholder or employee of Consumer Products International, LLC or its subsidiaries.
Michael Politis, Ph.D. in Neuropharmacology and Medical Physiology. He has numerous publications in leading neurological journals. His decades of research span the fields of neurosurgery, neurophysiology, and neuropharmacology. Dr. Politis has a long career in developing techniques for treating pathology of damaged central and peripheral nerves.
Spanning a long career as an expert in medical device research and development, one of Dr. Politis’s most distinguished accomplishments has been developing techniques for treating spinal cord injury, brain, and peripheral nerve damage. He has worked tirelessly to treat painful conditions of the limbs and trunk, and has developed products which are helping millions of people live better and more fulfilling lives today.
Dr. Politis’s long and eminent career is accentuated by his accomplishments in veterinary science and medicine. As a veterinary clinician for over two decades, Dr. Politis has successfully treated some of the most difficult cases in veterinary medicine in North America. He also is trained and highly accomplished in modern acupuncture and acupressure medicine. His skills in treating people and animals are well-known and greatly regarded. Dr. Politis’s contributions to the arts and humanities are no less impressive. He has written over 200 novels and screenplays. He also has produced, directed, and appeared in over 20 independent films. Many of these films have been broadcast on commercial television. Known widely as philanthropist and humanist, Dr. Politis truly is a Renaissance Man for today’s world.
1970- 1973 Biology (BS), Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ
1974- 1978 Physiology (Ph.D.), New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
1978- 1980 Postdoctoral Fellow, Depts Pathology/Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY.
1989 Worsley College of Traditional Medicine, Laemington, UK
1990- 1994 Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Western College of Veterinary Medicine,
Saskatoon, SK (CND)
1975- 1978 Teaching Assistant, Medical and Dental Neuroscience, NJ Medical School
1980- 1983 Instructor, Dept Pathology/Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY
1983- 1987 Assistant Professor/MRC Scholar, Department of Medical Anatomy, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
1987- 1988 Research Associate, Dept. Orthopedic Surgery/Zoology, Univ of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
1988- 1989 Assistant Professor, Dept. Biology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK.
1990- 2000 Sessional Lecturer, Depts. Medical Physiology (Med School, taught all areas, head instructor of comprehensive physiology/pathology courses), School of Dentistry (Dental Histology), and School of Nursing (Native Access to Nursing Program), Univ of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK.
1997- 1998 Researcher/Consultant, Northstar Botanicals, Kelvington, SK.
2000- 2003 Researcher/Writer, Pellegrino Center for Clinical Neurology, Hot Springs, Arkansas
2004- 2005 Researcher/Consultant, Dynamed Corporation, NY, NY.
Clinical Experience (veterinary)
1994- 1996 Relief Veterinarian, Saskatoon SPCA (large and small animals)
1995- 1996 Relief Veterinarian (unsupervised locums), Alberta/Sask.
1998- 2010 Relief Veterinarian (unsupervised locums), New York State.
Nervous system (CNS and PNS) trauma/repair/development, neoplasia, general cell biology (specialty in neurobiology), toxicology, neurotoxicology, neuropathies, neo-vascularization, acupuncture, muscle/skin repair.
Abstracts (partial list)
- Politis, MJ, Ingoglia, N and Linquist, T. Migration of RNW along neonatal and young adult rat optic axons, Trans. Amer. Soc. Neurochem., 1976.
- Politis, MJ and Ingoglia, N.A, Migration of RNA and RNA precursors along neonatal and young adult rat optic axons, Europ Soc. Neurochem, 1978.
- Politis, MJ, and Ingoglia, N., Axonal transport of 35 (S) taurine along neonatal and yougnadult rat optic axons, Soc. Neurosci., 1978.
- Politis, MJ, Pellegrino, RG and Spencer, P.S., A new in vivo model for studying axon-Schwann cell interactions, Amer. Soc. Neuropath, 1980.
- Politis, MJ, Ederle, K and Spencer, PS, 2,5- hexanedione produced giant axonal swellings by direct toxic action, Amer. Soc. Neuropath, 1980.
- Politis, MJ Ederle, K, and Spencer, PS., Axon-directed Schwann cell protein synthesis: Use of a new in vivo model, Amer. Cos. Neurochem., 1980.
- Politis, MJ, Sabri, MI, Elderle, K and Spencer, PS, Neuronal regulation of the synthesis of peripheral myelin proteins, Europ. Soc. Neurosci, 1980.
- Pellegrino, RG, Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, Axonal-associated mitosis during peripheral nerve regeneration in vivo, Soc. Cell Biol., 1980.
- Politis, MJ, Ederele, K and Spencer, PS, Do Schwann cells guide regenerating axons by chemotaxis? Amer. Soc. Neurochm, 1981.
- Pellegrino, RG, Politis, MJ, Ritchie, JM and Spencer, PS, Control of Schwann cell mitosis in Wallerian degeneration, Mer. Soc. Neurochem., 1981.
- Politis, MJ, Pellegrino, RG, Sternberger, N, Ritchie, JM, and Spencer, PS, Axonal regulation of Schwann cell behavior in vivo, Peripheral Nerve Study Group, 1981.
- Politis, MJ, Ederle, K, and Spencer, PS, Chemotaxis and regeneration of mammalian nerve, Soc. Neurosci., 1981.
- Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, Chemotaxis and nerve regeneration, Peripheral Nerve Study Group, 1981.
- Politis, MJ, Pellegrion, RG, Oaklander, A and Sloves, J. Glial protein synthesis during mammalian optic nerve degeneration, Amer. Soc. Neurochem, 1982.
- Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, Regeneration of rat optic nerves into adjacent peripheral nerve grafts, Soc. Neurosci, 1982.
- Pellegrino, RG, Politis, MJ and Ritchie, JM, Functional correlates of reactive glial protein synthesis in degenerating rat optic nerve, Soc. Neurosci, 1982.
- Politis, MJ, A new in vivo assay for neurotropic activity, Soc. Neurosci, 1983.
- Politis, MJ and Houle, JD, Effect of mitotic inhibitor administration on reactive gliosis in vivo, Amer. Soc. Neurochem, 1984.
- Politis, MJ, Alterations in anaerobic vs. aerobic metabolism in injured CNS and PNS nerve, Soc. Neurosci, 1984.
- Politis, MJ and Miller, JE, Biochemical changes underlying reactive gliosis, Amer. Soc. Neurochem, 1985
- Politis, MJ and Miller, JE, Induction of CND regeneration by localized tropic factor and systemic mitotic inhibitor administration, Amer. Soc. Neuropath, 1985.
- Politis, MJ, Dynapic of induction of axonal regeneration in rat optic nerve, Soc. Neurosci., 1985.
- Politis, MJ, Laminin-induced axonal regeneration in mammalian CNS and PNS, Soc. Anat. Austrail. New Zealand, 1986.
- Politis, MJ, Inhibition of reactive gliosis in vivo by exogenous axolemma or myelin, Amer. Soc. Neurochem, 1986.
- Politis, and Albala, B, Galvanotropic regeneration of damaged mammalian optic nerve, FASEB, 1986.
- Politis, and Albala, B, Galvanotropic regeneration of the damaged mammalian optic nerve, Amer. Assoc. Anat, 1986.
- Khan, MI, Politis, MJ and Muoz, D., Effect of localized oriented electrical fields on regenerative changes in double hemi-transected spinal cord of rats, CND Congress Neurol. Sci, 1987.
- Politis, MJ, Lindsay, J, Lymphokyne-induced regulation of C6 tumor growth in vivo, Soc. Neurosci, 1987.
- Spurr, G and Politis, MJ, Chloroquin inhibits reactive gliosis in vivo, Abst. Soc Neurosci, 1988.
- Miller, JE, and Politis, MJ, Laminin/AraC and DC electrical current promotes recovery after spinal cord injury, Ast. Soc. Neurosci, 1988.
- Politis, MJ, Dose dependent effects of DC electrical current on nerve regeneration, Abst. Soc. Neurosci., 1989.
Publications (partial list)
- Politis, MJ and Ingoglia, N, Transport of (35-S) taurine along neonatal and young adult rat optic nerves, Brain Res, 166:221:231 (1979).
- Politis, MJ and Ingoglia, N, Axonal transport of nucleosides, nucleotides and 4S RNS in the neonatl rat visual system, Brain Res., 169:343=356 (1979).
- Politis, MJ et al, Neurotoxicology of selected chemicals. In: Experimental and Clinial Neurotoxicology, Spencer, PS and Schaumburg, ed, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore,MD, 1980.
- Politis, MJ et al, Ultrastructural studies of the dying back process. V. Axonal neurofilaments accumulate at sites of 2,5-hexanedione application, J. Neurocytol, 1:505-516 (1980).
- Spencer, PS, Sabri, M and Politis, MJ, Methyl-n-butyl ketone, carbon disulfate and acrylamide: Putative mechanisms of neurotoxic disease. In: Progress in Neurotoxicology, Manzo, I, et. al, eds, Pergamen Press, Oxford, 1980.
- Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, A method to separate spacially the temporal sequence of events in axon-Schwann cell interaction during nerve regeneration, J. Neurocytol. 10:221-232 (1981).
- Spencer, PS, Politis, MJ, Pellegrino, RG and Schaumburg, H, The cellular target site in distal axonopathies. In: Diseases of the Motor Unit, Scotland, D, Ed, Houghton Mifflin Press, pacific Palisades, CA (1982)
- Spencer, PS, Politis, MJ and Pellegrino, RG, Control of Schwann cell behavior during degeneration and regeneration, Sympos. On Post-Traumatic Peripheral Nerve Regeneration, Milliesi, H et al, ed, Raven Press, NY (1981).
- Politis, MJ et al, Tropism in nerve regeneration in vivo. Attraction of regenerating axons by diffusible factors derived from cells in distal stumps of transected peripheral nerves, Brain Res, 253:1-12 (1982).
- Zagoren, J, Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, Immediate effects of cytoskeletal organization by intra-neuronal injection of 2,5 hexanedione, Brain Res (1982).
- Spencer, PS, Politis, MJ, Pellegrino, RG, Ross, SM and Sabri, M, The induction and repair of myelin, Proc Inter. Congress Neuromuscular Diseases, Serratrice, G et al, eds, Raven Press, NY (1984).
- Politis, MJ et al, Reactive glial protein synthesis and functional axolemma disappearance in degenerating rat optic nerve, Brain Res, 273:392-396 (1983).
- Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, A new in vivo assay of neurotropic activity, Brain Res. 278:229-231 (1983).
- Politis, MJ and Houle, JD, Effects of cytosine arabinofuranoside (AraC) on reactive gliosis in vivo, Brain Res, 328:291-300 (1985).
- Politis, MJ, Tropic factors in reactive central nervous system tissue, Brain Res. 328:227-281 (1985).
- Politis, MJ, Specificity in mammalian peripheral nerve regeneration at the level of the nerve trunk, Brain Res. 328:277-281 (1985).
- Politis, MJ and Steiss, JE, Electromyographic evaluation of a novel surgical preparation to enhance nerve muscle specificity following a peripheral nerve trunk transection, Expt. Neurol. 87:326-333 (1985).
- Politis, MJ et al, The role of glio-Schwann cell mitosis on post-traumatic lactic acid dehydrogenase activity in degeneration of central and peripheral nerve, Brain Res. 359:187-193 (1985).
- Politis, MJ and Miller, JE, Post-traumatic alterations in glutamine synthetase activity in peripheral and central nerves, Brain Res. 359:183-186 (1985).
- Politis, MJ and Spencer, PS, Regeneration of rat optic nerves into peripheral nerve grafts, Expt. Neurol. 91:52-59 (1086).
- Politis, MJ and Miller, JE, Role of mitosis and reactive gliosis on production of neurotropic factors, Brain Res. 346:186-189 (1985).
- Greibel, R, Rozdilsky, B, Politis, MJ and Khan, M, Comparison of hemorrhagic changes in experimental spinal cord injury models using an image analyzer, Can. J. Neurosci, 12:259-263 (1985).
- Politis, MJ, Retina-derived growth-promoting extract supports axonal regeneration in vivo, Brain Res. 364:369-371 (1986).
- Politis, MJ and Miller, JE, Inhibition of DibutEMP-induced transformation of astrocytes in vitro by exogenous axolemma or myelin fractions, Expt. Neurol. (1987).
- Politis, MJ, Inhibition of reactive gliosis in vivo by exogenous axolemmal or myelin fractions, Expt. Neurol. (1987).
- Politis, MJ, et al, Facilitated peripheral nerve regeneration using a galvanotropic device, J. Trauma (1989).
- Politis, MJ et al, Treatment of damaged rat hippocampus with a locally-applied electric field, Expt. Brain Res. 71:223-226 (1988).
- Beveridge, J and Politis, MJ, Use of electric current to promote regeneration across an experimental neuroma, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1989).
- Politis, MJ, et al, Galvanotropic regeneration of the mammalian optic nerve, J. Trauma (1990).
- Politis, MJ, Exogenous laminin induces regenerative changes in traumatized mammalian sciatic and optic nerve, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1989).
- Politis, MJ, Short term effects on weak electrical current on repair of damaged spinal cord, Neurosurg. 23:582-590 (1988).
- Politis, MJ and Lindsay, J, Exogenous lymphokines regulate growth of C6 tumor in vivo, Acta Neuropathologica (1986).
- Politis, MJ, Enhanced survival of full thickness skin grafts following application of DC electrical fields, Plast. Reconst. Surg 84:267-273 (1989).
- Politis, MJ, Beneficial effects of chronic direct electrical current on spinal cord injury after delayed lesion, Neurosurg. 25:31-39 (1988).
- Politis, MJ, 6-aminonicatinamide is selectively toxic to reactive (vs not reactive) astroglial cells in vivo, J. Neurol. Sci. 92:71-79 (1989).
- Politis, MJ and Korchinski, M, Beneficial effects of acupuncture treatment following experimental spinal cord injury: A behavioral, morphological and biochemical study, Int. Acupuncture and Electrotherapeutics 15: 37-49 (1990)/
- Politis, MJ, Beneficial effects of acupuncture and alanine adminstration on post-traumatic compensatory hepatic growth, Int. J. Veterinary Acupuncture (1991).
- Politis, MJ and Dmytrowich, A, Promotion of second intention wound healing with a new lotion containing emu oil: Comparative results with furasin, cortisone and polysporin, Plastic and Reconstructive Surg (1998).